UNMC Health High School Alliance
The UNMC High School Alliance is a partnership between the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) and public school districts in the greater Omaha area. It is designed to offer unique and innovative science classes to high school juniors and seniors.
Alliance students take classes that are not available in the traditional high school setting. These accredited classes are taught in partnership by UNMC faculty and certified high school teachers on the UNMC campus.
The Alliance provides students with the opportunity to observe, shadow, and work alongside world renowned health care professionals and researchers at UNMC. Students from participating districts who are interested in pursuing a career in health care should strongly consider applying to the UNMC Alliance. Most classes are eligible for dual enrollment through the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO), and financial assistance may be available.
Who Is Eligible?
Students from participating school districts are eligible to apply. Eligible students must meet each of the following criteria:
1. Be 16 years old at the beginning of the school year.
2. Have completed and attained at least a "B" in Algebra I, Biology, and Chemistry*.
3. Submit 2 recommendation forms completed by a teacher or administrator from your school (at least one must be from a science or math teacher).
4. Complete an essay about your reasons fro pursuing the UNMC Alliance and a career in health care.
5. Have parental consent for participation.
6. Be on-track for graduation.
7. Download appplication at www.unmc.edu/alliance
8. Mail application to UNMC by March 1st at 4 p.m.
* May be concurrently enrolled in Chemistry
Prerequisites: See above
Duration: 1 semester
Credit: 4 per year
Grade Level: 11, 12
How does the UNMC alliance work?
UNMC Alliance students take classes on the UNMC campus every day from 1 p.m. until 3 p.m.
Because school districts have different calendars, the UNMC Alliance will follow the calendar for the Omaha Public Schools. If your school is not in session but the UNMC Alliance has class, you are still required to attend.
Transportation is not provided.
What school districts are participating?
Bellevue Public Schools
Bennington Public Schools
Council Bluffs Community Schools
Douglas County West Community Schools
Gretna Public Schools
Millard Public Schools
Omaha Public Schools
Papillion-La Vista Public School
Westside Community Schools
*based on school district approval